Monday, October 5, 2009

The first time I played the taiko


In September 2008, I played the taiko for the first time in my life – and it was really exciting! Taiko is a kind of traditional Japanese drums, and there are a lot of groups that play it in Brazil and in the whole world. Some friends of mine were part of a group named Hikaridaiko (“Hikari”, in Japanese, means “light”, and “daiko” comes from “taiko”). This group was going to teach some people how to play the taiko, and these friends called me to those classes. I had seen a presentation they had made and I had found it beautiful, so I decided to take the lessons.

We had four classes – one on each weekend in September. All the meetings happened in the same place: the club where they always had the practice. On the first day, we all sat on the grass and talked for a little time. Everybody said their names and ages, and the veterans told us what the taiko was used for a long time ago, and the spirit and philosophy about it. After that, we took the taikos and started trying to understand how we should play it. It was really difficult at first! After that, our arms were so hurt that we couldn’t move them at all for about one week!

However, I really loved it, and I spent the whole week just waiting for the next Saturday. When we started training, I was really happy, not only because I was playing the taiko, which I loved, but I also had met a lot of cool, funny people. During the other week, once again, I couldn’t wait for the weekend. When the four classes were over, I was so sad that I think I could cry at anytime. Happily, we were all invited to stay in the group if we wanted.

All that happened one year ago, but it looks as if it has happened so much time ago! Everybody has improved so much that I feel ashamed of the way I played before. And, of course, I am still in the group until today – even though not everybody has stayed. I hope I can always get better and better, because I still have too much to learn, so I’ll always keep practicing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I`m Miha from Slovenija. I think it was a beautiful experience for you. I would like to try play this taiko.

    ReplyDelete